+ Antworten
Ergebnis 1 bis 2 von 2
    Developer
    Thanks

The ADB ITI-5800S(X) or nBox

In my git a receiver name has been gathering dust for years, simply because I had no idea what it was or where it came from, and also because I did not own one: B4Team ADB 5800S. I simply inherited that model from the max git, where my git originates from.

Some time ago I decided to clean up my git and get rid of some models that in my view where either not finished or simply never used. Of one the unfinished ones is the Homecast HS5101. So I came across the B4Team ADB 5800S. Google told me very little in the beginning. After some tries things became somewhat clearer: the name in the git is not entirely correct. These boxes are called ADB ITI-5800S (for the basic ones) or ADB ITI-5800SX (for upscale ones). ADB stands for Advanced Digital Broadcast and is the manufacturer. They still exist today and are based in Switserland. Their receivers are usually not sold under the ADB brand name, but through content providers who attach new names to them.

To cut a long story short: this model was marketed by the Polish provider “n” (nowadays “nc+”), beginning around 2009 thereabouts. Technically, they are about the same age/generation as the Fortis FS9000/9200, the Fortis HS9510, the Topfield TF7700HDPVR and the Kathrein UFS910. They have an STx7100 Soc running at 266MHz. Old stuff and not interesting I thought.

Reading on I discovered it has 192 Mbyte of RAM (64 Mbyte reserved as frame buffer memory), 4 Mbyte of NOR (not that much) but also 64 Mbyte of NAND flash built in, the latter being both unusual and very generous given the age of this box. The amount of NAND flash also makes it technically possible to run Enigma2 in flash. And that is exactly what happened in the past: in Poland several parties, among which the mentioned B4Team have developed Enigma2 for the receiver.

Nc+ did a good job and there thousands of these receivers in Poland. They are about 10 years old and nc+ seems to be retrieving them from their customers and replacing them with newer hardware. The old receivers are sold on and the result is you can pick up one of these for a ridiculously low price in Poland. If you pay that low price, you get a box that is in the same state as the customer returned it, but often with a brand new (external) power supply and also a brand new remote control. You can even buy them refurbished with (usually a very old) Enigma2 installed, ready to go.

So far I talked about the receiver. This is not entirely true: in fact there are three models, two of which also exist in a second generation. The boxes where offered in three versions: simple (satellite, one tuner, orange LED display, no hard disk, white cabinet), recorder (satellite, twin tuner, VFD display, 250 Gbyte hard disk, black cabinet) and cable (single tuner, yellow LED display, no hard disk, silver cabinet). The two satellite models later received a model treatment. On the outside little changed. Internally, the simple model lost its pluggable tuner which was now mounted on the main board. The recorder model only received minor changes apart from a redesigned dual tuner. The total setup therefore is:

• Simple, 1st generation: model BSKA;
    • Recorder, 1st generation: model BSLA;
    • Simple, 2nd generation: model BXZB;
    • Recorder,2nd generation: model BZZB;
    • Cable (model code unknown by this author at the time of writing).

The four letter codes are the prefixes of the serial numbers of the receivers. You will come across those when reading about them. The collective name for all of these is also nbox, a text prominently present on the panel panel of all boxes, often spelled as nBox in running text.

In upcoming posts I will tell you about converting an unmodified BSKA or BSLA to Enigma 2 (it is a challenge as nc+ hammered these boxes thoroughly shut), how to replace the often worn out capacitors in the internal power supply and tuner, and present a brand new front panel driver that exploits the possibilities of these boxes with regard to that front panel to the maximum. Needless to say I am also working on getting the latest Enigma2 running on P0217 of our SH4 Linux, but that may still take a while, although things look promising.

Hint: do not buy an unconverted BXZB or BZZB, unless you want a super challenge, have a try at replacing BGA chips on a dual layer PCB, exercise your command of Polish and find out that Google is hopeless in translating Polish to English (or Dutch, almost everything on the about these boxes is in Polish only). Box conversions to E2 are offered at modest prices for these (although this requires sending the box back to Poland) so the extra money for an already converted BXZB or BZZB is well spent.

More to come on these nBoxes, and thank you pablocool for your excellent support.

Regards,

Audioniek.
    Receivers: Rebox: RE-4000, 8000, 9000, 2200, 2210, 2220, 4200, 4210, 4220, 8220, 8500, SAB Unix Triple, Golden Media Spark TripleX, Amiko Alien 2+, Sogno Spark Revolution, Kathrein UFS910(1 & 14W)/912/913/922(CX24116 & AVL2108 tuners), Vizyon revolution 820HD PVR, AB IPBox 91HD/9000HD/9000HD rev.2, Xsarius Alpha HD10, nBox BKSA/BSLA/BXZB/BZZB, Vitamin HD 5000
    Sats: Astra 1, 2 & 3, Hotbird
    Main activity: building my own E2 images for Fortis receivers

Developer
    Thanks
    Converting an nBox BSKA or BSLA to Enigma2 (or Neutrino)

As written before: this is a challenge. Because of that, you need a guide to achieve it, and I soon found out they were about a dozen different ones floating around, all of them in Polish. I also found several requests for a guide in English, but apparently nobody felt the need to translate one, as I never found an English one. While converting my nBoxes to E2 I wrote down what I was doing, retrieved some photographs from the net, improved them and wrote the PDF guide you can download below. Pablocool reviewed the document several times for errors and possible improvement and I thank him for the effort.

Right at the start it becomes clear you need a lot of things to download and I spent quite some time finding it on the net and gathering it all. As a convenience, everything needed has been checked and tested and put in one large .zip-file, so one dowload will get you everything.

Regards,

Audioniek

The conversion guide: nBox_BSKA_BSLA_Enigma2_installation.pdf
    Everything else you need: download_package.zip
    Geändert von Audioniek (24.08.2019 um 12:41 Uhr)
    Receivers: Rebox: RE-4000, 8000, 9000, 2200, 2210, 2220, 4200, 4210, 4220, 8220, 8500, SAB Unix Triple, Golden Media Spark TripleX, Amiko Alien 2+, Sogno Spark Revolution, Kathrein UFS910(1 & 14W)/912/913/922(CX24116 & AVL2108 tuners), Vizyon revolution 820HD PVR, AB IPBox 91HD/9000HD/9000HD rev.2, Xsarius Alpha HD10, nBox BKSA/BSLA/BXZB/BZZB, Vitamin HD 5000
    Sats: Astra 1, 2 & 3, Hotbird
    Main activity: building my own E2 images for Fortis receivers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Audioniek For This Useful Post: