Zitat Zitat von zdzislaw22 Beitrag anzeigen
I do understand you prefer to have specialized equipment to do any single thing, but this does not mean toys you are using does not have more functions than you use.
For example, even you use your phone just for calling, it also has a webbrowser and email client. Or maybe you have bought old 10 years old cellphone?
First of all, thank you for your 2 cents. I understand your reasoning, but do not agree with it. The reason for that is twofold. The first is that multi functional devices almost always are collections of compromises, none of which is optimal. You gain features, but loose on quality. The second reason is that people tend to forget what a box originally is intended for and even "invent" or ask for new purposes for it, making it do things it was never good at in the first place (the first reason). This very often goes as far as forgetting the actual function the box was designed for and not using that function: "My box can do X, Y and Z, and even AA." When you inform them it can also do A (its original intended function) they are even surprised: "Wow! can it do that too?!" You are right: I will need more than one box for a collection of functions, where it is probably possible to have one box that does them all, but not optimally.
Regarding phones: mine is 12 years old, features actual moving keys you can physically feel and provide tactile feedback, and audible feedback without even using a speaker. It was bought new. It also has a feature called SMS which I do not use. My computer has something called e-mail which is about a gazillion times better and more comfortable. My phone cannot browse the net or send e-mails. I do not need that. Yes, I do need more boxes than you. But I use them for much longer periods saving valuable resources and I enjoy higher quality experience on them.

Zitat Zitat von zdzislaw22 Beitrag anzeigen
Flexibility is the key.
That is one approach. I have a flexible approach too, and achieve the same things you do, but along completely different ways. With me, quality is the key feature.

My point is this: while adding features the product becomes bulky, hard to control and maintain and in case of Enigma2 even more unstable (read the observations by other developers). With E2 it is my gut feeling we have reached a point where solving one problem yields two new ones and adding a feature disturbs at least one good working feature we already had. Quality will only return when it is stripped down to a more basic form. Meanwhile people still ask for added functionality. What they actually need is either a new box, or (that is my approach) an extra box with the features they miss in the first one. The latter approach has a higher quality level, is easier to maintain, and for that reason alone is much cheaper in the long run. How many phones have you bought in the last 12 years? Me: zero, and you can reach me on the same number for almost 25 years now.

Thank you for reading all this. Regards,

Audioniek.